Monday, May 23, 2011

Fourth Grade - pt 2 Life Lesson Don't Let It Go To Your Head

I was for sure interested in the same girl from third through fifth grade. Annie was really my first long term, for sure, no doubt about it, girlfriend. We were at each other's birthday parties, hanging out on recess, and flirting at lunch. However, there were a few distractions for me during fourth grade. One you might remember, Marti the other was Kandace. It was the third and fourth grade's turn to do the Christmas play at school. I was trying out for all the parts. I usually got stuck as a narrator, because I could memorize long parts. This time, I wanted a lead roll!

I tried out for Santa, but didn't get it. I was too short. I thought I did well, but it could be that I stuck the landing on Santa's Helper...Hughie, the fat elf. I remember standing on stage with all the other kids from the two grades and trying out. Most of you won't believe this, but I was a bit of a ham. I craved attention, and was usually the class clown. I decided I really needed to land this part. So when I read the lines, I used my cute high pitched elf voice. It was perfect! They loved it. I had a major roll! I was the elf that sneaked Twinkies into the weight watchers clinic for Santa and helped bust him out.

Now, I had a huge crush on the head exercise trainer, actually a couple of the trainers, but especially the head trainer. I had now found stardom and was getting to hang out with the cool kids. How far would this take me? I also had the flirty Marti that I had a duet with at the end of the play. What would I do? Would I use my new found popularity to break the heart of Annie?

Well, as much as I flirted with Kandace and Marti, I never made a move. I was loyal and faithful to my one true love. I could not even bring myself to do more than the normal flirty banter that kids don't even realize they do. I was hooked, hooked on Annie.

I have realized though how fame and fortune can destroy a man. Success is a dangerous thing, and it can tare you up. It breaks up relationships, love, friendship, and families. It hardens your heart and destroys you a little bit at a time. I admire those folks who can keep it together and have success. I held strong and made a choice that will remind me everyday that loyalty is stronger than success, fame and fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment