Thursday, May 5, 2011

Third Grade pt 3 - Life Lesson The First Kiss

I'm going to wrap up the third grade story of Annie today. I think back to these events and how they shaped me. I honestly giggle when I think about them. I will talk about my first kiss and seven minutes in heaven in this blog.

Okay...seven minutes in heaven...a little game that we played when I was in third grade at Annie's birthday party. My friend Mark helped set this up and it's probably one of the only things he ever helped me out with (probably the only thing he helped me with). Of course after presents (I got her a heart necklace) and cake we kids were playing around. This landed us in her bedroom, I believe there were about seven or eight of us, maybe more. We were just being goofy kids. I remember she had a Chicago poster on the wall and I thought it was cool, because I loved the Chicago Cubs (this was the band Chicago, which I would learn about later in life). All of the sudden my friend Mark whispers a question to me about playing seven minutes in heaven with Annie. I didn't know what this was so he explained it. It's where you get locked in the closet with a girl and you stay in there with her for seven minutes. I was game...he asked who I wanted to be in there with...Annie...duh!

So, Annie and I get razzed by our peers and off we go to the closet. She had a huge walk-in closet and it was well organized. All of the sudden it was quiet and I was aware of the fact it was just us. There were oohs and ahs from outside the closet, and the occasional heckling. I didn't let that phase me. I really have no clue how long we were in the closet, but I know I wanted it to last forever. It's weird, we just talked and looked at her board games and she showed me her shoes and dresses. It was all very innocent, and I didn't quite understand the concept of the game (maybe this is why I never played this game again), however it was so great to spend that time with her...just me...just her...

I remember being one of the last kids to be picked up from her house that day. It was a good day, a really good day.

So you all thought that my first kiss was during this game. It actually came weeks later on the playground during morning recess. I had chased the girls (but singled out Annie of course) and we were just hanging out by the dome shaped monkey bar thing that was at the edge of the parking lot (remember we had a playground in the parking lot). It was about time for the bell to sound and get lined up to go back to class. I had finally gotten up the nerve to kiss her (I had been holding her hand for weeks). I leaned over and kissed her on the lips. Her reaction is priceless now, but was not what I expected when I was nine years old. She said yuck, spit and ran away. I still remember how funny she ran, I think mostly because she had these awkward long legs. I was heartbroken, my world was devastated. How could I face her and my friends after this? Well, the next day we were holding hands on recess and she reached over and kissed me on the cheek.

My first kiss...nothing grotesque...all so innocent and cute. I know you were hoping for something juicy...those stories are later...

No comments:

Post a Comment