Saturday, April 23, 2011

Kindergarten - Life Lesson Wait 'Em Out

I was never the boy that thought girls had cooties, in fact as long as I can remember I have been chasing them. This post is a dedication to the love of my kindergarten life.

First you need to know how my classroom was set up. We had about 30 students in class and the desks were set up in fours that faced each other. Each of us in that quad shared supplies and did projects together. The building was just a beautiful tin building, that had been added quickly to meet the demand of the oil boom and the families that came with it.

I had an amazing teacher and assistant. In fact, I loved kindergarten. I remember the cool things like learning to tie my shoes. I remember dressing as the Lone Ranger for Halloween, chasing girls on the play ground (I will admit, it continued until we no longer had recess), and Atari.

There was also a special girl in kindergarten, her name was Jennifer (this isn't her real name, I don't want to share revenues with anyone if I become famous). She had long dark hair and a really cute smile. I was lucky enough to share a desk with her. At first she wouldn't have anything to do with me. She had a thing for the kid that shared the desks with us. It may hard to believe, but I was kind of a class clown, always acting up and saying crazy things. He was more laid back and chill, a mystery. I can see why the girls chased him.

After the kid she was chasing broke his arm and he started getting lots of attention from everyone in class, especially girls (why do women dig broken body parts on dudes?) she moved on, and that was my luck! If you can't be first choice, second ain't bad. I guess that is where I learned to wait 'em out.

I remember holding hands on the play ground; the long strolls during play time. I remember making a special Valentine's Day card with all the love in my heart. Ah, the short lived love of kindergarten. I don't quite remember how long this little fling (can you call it that in kindergarten?) lasted (probably a couple months in the spring), but it is one that I can still recall and it does bring a smile to my face.

Jennifer - Thanks for being my first love.

No comments:

Post a Comment