Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Third Grade pt 1 - Life Lesson Sharing Time

I have lots of fond memories of the third grade. I started showing hogs in 4H, I had a sweet perm on the back half of my hair, and I went on my first date. I remember recess was split on two different playgrounds during the third grade. In the morning we went to the east side of the grade school in the parking lot (more or less) and in the afternoon we went to the actual playground with grass!

I developed my first real serious crush in the third grade. This girl would have a major influence on the physical attributes of all women who would follow her. It may seem strange, and it is a little weird to write about, but she is one of four or five women who have influenced relationship decisions for my entire life. I can still remember her phone number from grade school and her birthday. She moved away after the fourth grade, but I still after all these years later remember her. Some may think that is sad or pathetic, to me it has allowed me the introspection to understand my development, especially as it relates to my relationships with the opposite gender.

Her name was Annie. She was tall, long dark hair, slender build (weren't we all back then?) dark complected, and a smile that would stop me in my tracks (actually make me a bumbling idiot). She was sweet, nice, smart, and interesting. However, she was clumsy, ungraceful, and awkward (again, weren't we all at this age?).

This particular story is about sharing time with a friend of mine. We shared the girl we both coveted. I "went out" with her during morning recess and he "went out" with her during afternoon recess. This arrangement was agreed upon by all three parties, however my friend Jackson and I weren't real keen on the arrangement. We did go along with it, cause let's face it, she made a great argument for why it was necessary (girls are smarter than boys, we all know this, and she was sneaky smart). We used to cheat in class (sorry teach). I would share my math work and she would share spelling. I did throw a spelling bee one time so she could win. Chivalry, I know.

Anyways, one afternoon, after I had my time in the morning, she and Jackson were enjoying the day. A large group decided to play a game of Red Rover. I know you remember Red Rover, Red Rover, let Delton come over. If not, we should play sometime, it's great fun! So, as it was, I had my pack of friends and Jackson had his. We lined up across from each other, and who should be invite over...Annie. And where did she choose to charge...at me of course. Now she didn't break through so as is customary in the game, you must latch arms with the person who blocked you. So, here are Annie and I holding hands during afternoon recess, I was on borrowed time.

As the game went along, Annie was retrieved back from the other side and then I was called over. I went right between Jackson and Annie. This time, I had no intention of breaking through. I wanted to be in between them. So was my strategy, and of course it paid off. I was holding hands with Annie and Jackson. He was furious. I was enjoying every minute, until...Jackson started squeezing my hand so hard I thought my fingers were going to shoot out of my hand. I knew I had to get out of this situation and soon let someone break through to take me back to my side.

I don't remember who won the game, but I do know that after the epic battle, Annie was mine for both recesses. I had won, and it felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment